Thursday, October 9, 2008

Folders and Wikis

Today I had the opportunity to listen to some exciting training happening and without realizing it, my co-workers were referring to Support Central functionality. Folders and Wikis .. my goal in the next week is to learn more about both so that I can:
  • Help implement critical process improvement in our document management needs (we need version control and global access since we have people globaly needing to access certian documents)
  • Help our training and reference materials become interactive and enhanced by all users (with some controls and assurance of accuracy)

I will be doing both of these things outside my current responsibilities and will have to hunt for some online training regarding both of these ... so I hope I can meet my self inflicted deadline.

So if anyone reading this would like to share their experience or wisdom on these two topics, please do! Specifically I am looking for:

  • Your opinion of the best training materials (send link via email if this is internal GE)
  • Have advice and/or example on how to use "folders" (not just the technical portion of it but how to best set up/administer the process)
  • Your opinion on best training material for wikis
  • Have advice, tips/tricks and/or example on how to use Wikis to set up SOP and training materials

Thanks .. I have no idea if anyone will be looking at this or if I should start a discussion in the Linkedin group??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe its too late for me to comment on the post, but nonetheless here are my 2 cents:

1. With a good mix of metadata forms and access rights, your library adminstration will be very clean.
2. Libraies has many admin properties like enforced versioning, delete docs when expired, email notifications etc to give you more control on how your library is used.
3. supportcentral.ge.com/82 help portal has good training material.
4. Pay a visit to TSG wiki to see how well they have used the wiki feature in thei community.

Hope the above points are of some help to you.

-Vivek

Rosemary Reilly said...

Thanks Vivek! Time has flown by and I still have not mastered (or even studied) Wiki, metadata forms and the admin properties of libraries!! The training looks great and the wiki example wonderful!

Rosemary

Anonymous said...

I agree..its a sea of information. Keep on swimming!!